Monday, September 12, 2011

Names of Dead Read at Ground Zero - 10th Anniversary of 9/11



One by one, the victims' names are read at Ground Zero in New York...read by relatives of the nearly 3,000 people who died in hijacked plane attacks on September 11, 2001.

[Victim's Daughter]:
"My dad, Michael Baksh"

[Victim's Mother]:
"My daughter, Dominique Lisa Pandolfo."

Thousands gather around the memorial built in the footprints of the World Trade Center's Twin Towers, many shedding tears and sharing embraces.

With bagpipes playing and firefighters holding an American flag recovered from the site, the somber ceremony marks the passage of one decade since the skyscrapers collapsed after being hit by planes.

President Barack Obama read to the crowd from Psalm 46.

[Barack Obama, President of the United States]:
"God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear."

Former president George W. Bush shared a civil war letter by President Abraham Lincoln.

[George W. Bush, Former President of the United States]:
"I pray that our heavenly father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost."

For the first time, relatives see the just-finished memorial, where names of the dead are engraved into black stones and waterfalls cascade into pools below.

Some leave flowers, some copy names onto paper.

A tolling bell marks the times the planes hit the towers and the times they collapsed, the times planes crashed into the Pentagon and a Pennsylvania field...all times when loved ones were lost.

[Victim's Son]:
"My father, Sebastian Gorki, who I never met because I was in my mom's belly. I love you father. I love you for loving the idea of having me. You gave me the gift of life and I wish you could be here to enjoy it with me."

From -
http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/news_northamerica/2011-09-12/names-of-dead-read-at-ground-zero-10th-anniversary-of-9-11.html