Sunday, April 21, 2013

Miss World Canada Contestant Speaks for the Oppressed


Anastasia Lin Miss World Canada 2013 Delegate HD

(http://youtu.be/a7Ct-HF3p9I)

 Miss World Canada Contestant Speaks for the Oppressed

(http://youtu.be/pYUSZt3TCXc)


A university student, actress and human rights activist. At 23-years old, Chinese-born Anastasia Lin is taking on yet another challenge–Miss World Canada 2013—but it’s not just the title she’s after. 
[Anastasia Lin, Contestant, Miss World Canada 2013]: 
“My platform is religious freedom. I do want to speak on behalf of the people who don’t have this freedom.”
The student at the University of Toronto is living the motto of Miss World Canada: Beauty with a Purpose. In 2011, Lin was one of 11-stakeholder representatives to meet with Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird about Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom.
On the big screen, Lin has chosen films that highlight the importance of human rights.
[Anastasia Lin, Contestant, Miss World Canada 2013]: 
“I think it’s during the process of making these movies. I find it’s very authentic. Those are the messages that I believe in, and being able to act them out and bring it to the audience, I feel it’s very profound.”
Anastasia Lin says this former Miss World Canada inspired her to consider the pageant.
But it was Anastasia’s own contact with a former prisoner of conscience that motivated her to enter.
[Anastasia Lin, Contestant, Miss World Canada 2013]: 
“What happened to her was that I saw her a month after she came out of China. I can still see the bruises and damages that was done to her body due to the torture in the labor camp.”
That woman died several months later. Family members said she had been injected with toxic substances before she left China.
[Anastasia Lin, Contestant, Miss World Canada 2013]:
“That was heartbreaking for us, for the entire film crew. And that’s when I decided to join the competition, and I’ll be able to speak up for them.”
Lin admits she is nervous going up against the other contestants. But her goal going into the pageant is keeping her grounded.
[Anastasia Lin, Contestant, Miss World Canada 2013]:
“I know what I want to with this title. With this title we can help a lot of people who are suffering, who lack the freedoms that we enjoy in a free country, a free society. So I think once the judges see that, they will understand and give me the support. The support is not to me, it’s to the people who are suffering.”
Lin is currently coming third in the Miss World Canada People’s Choice online poll. The pageant will take place on May 8th and 9th in Vancouver, BC. 
NTD News, Toronto, Canada.

From - http://ntdtv.org/en/news/china/2013-04-19/miss-world-canada-contestant-speaks-for-the-oppressed.html